Building Blocks operates a monthly food shelf. We also:
- Conductspecial food (Zakat-ul-Fitr) distribution programs during the month of Ramadan in several locations.
- Distribute Udhiyyah meat during the month of Dhul-Hijja.
- Organize food drives to facilitate the community’s participation and increase the number of hungry families served
The need for food sistance in the Twin Cities is significant. In a survey we conducted in 2007 that involved 700 respondents:
- 18 percent of the respondents reported not having enough to eat for the whole month.
- 41percent said they received food support
- 51 percent knew another family in need of food every month
Our Food Shelf program serves more than 1,000 families each year.
Population served EVERY month: 150 familes
The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) was once asked what qualities in Islam are good, he responded, “To feed the poor and greet those whom you know and those whom you don’t know,” (Reported in Bukhari)
Please donate generously to help meet food shelf costs and to allow us to expand and serve more hungry people in more locations. In this challenging economic climate, your help is vital for many needy families. You may donate online or send a check to Building Blocks, 2001 Central Ave. NE, Minneapolis, MN 55418